Sunday, August 26, 2012

Healthy Brownies? - LIES!

This Frosted Zucchini Brownies recipe was suggested by Miss Angelika as something delicious to make while on my most recent health kick. My sister uses zucchini all the time in her recipes, so I figured I would give it a shot.

Photobucket
So here I stand, with most of my ingredients. Yes, there is a plate of brownies already on the stove. My mom made those and ... they leave a lot to be desired. :)

Photobucket
So, already feeling a little confused as I didn't know healthy = sugar, oil and a vanilla mixture. But, I'm game.


So then my next step was mixing some dry stuff together. In the middle of the cocoa part, this happened....
Photobucket
Balls.

I tried to recreate the look on my face as it happened. This is about right.
Photobucket



Photobucket
After I cleaned that up, I was afraid it would happen again. Easy does it.

Photobucket
Okay, that mess is done.

Photobucket
Oooh, look who made an appearance.

 Photobucket
So now comes the worst part. Shredding the zucchini. I hate it!
Photobucket
After I started shredding, I thought I probably should've  googled to see the proper way to do it, because I realized that the seeds were still in it, and who wants zucchini seeds in their brownies?! It has been well over a year since I did this last, and I can't remember the proper technique. I figured i should probably scoop out the insides..and this is what I was left with. Even suckier to shred them now!

Photobucket
What my sink looked like after I was finished. Like a zucchini mass murder! Thank God I had the brilliant idea to do it over my sink so I didn't have to clean this mess up! And yay for garbage disposals!

Photobucket
So it's not quite 2 cups but, good enough because I'm DONE with that mess.

 Photobucket
Nom!

 Photobucket
So the recipe says that the mixture will be dry and they weren't kidding. It is. It looks like a pile of dirt. Which reminds me, I miss Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans, as my favorite kind is the dirt one. I'm not kidding.

Photobucket
Good GRIEF! After I put the brownies in, I stood back to admire my kitchen. "Nice kitchen! When was the tornado?!" Baking time = cleaning time.


Photobucket
So I giggled at the recipe as it said to 'gently touch' to see if they're done as they're supposed to spring right back. How do you 'gently touch' a brownie? I felt like I was on "Touched By An Angel." Excuse me Mr. Brownie? I'm going to gently touch you now....


Photobucket
After I did it, I realized what they were talking about. Yep, it just left an indentation, so I put them back in for another 5 minutes.

So at this point, I took them out and before I made the frosting, I had to let them cool. So this was when I decided to break and make my Homemade Microwave Popcorn and blog about that.

Cut to a few hours later when I decided to make the frosting.

Photobucket
I had to melt some margarine and some cocoa. However, I kind of forgot what number I was on when doing the cocoa, 6 Tablespoons is a lot! So I may or may not have added one more tablespoon of cocoa. It's all good, right?

Photobucket
Now I'm wondering if I did add too much. This looks like a baby diaper.

  Photobucket
So then I had to add that hot mess to some milk and powdered sugar. It was quite chunky. I whisked for a few minutes and it looked a little better....

Photobucket
But not perfect. But chocolate doesn't have to be pretty to consume, right?

08-25-2012037
I may or may not have tried to lick the frosting off the whisk. INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY!

So then the recipe says that they have to sit for at least a few hours in the fridge and the frosting will thicken the longer it sits. So I planned to just let them sit overnight and try them today.


Yeah, about that....
My popcorn ended up not tiding me over until breakfast and I found myself at 10:45pm thinking about these damn brownies in the fridge. I tried to move on and think of anything else, but I finally succumbed to the temptation and figured I would treat myself for all that hard work...... or something like that.
Photobucket
So I took them out and they look exactly the same as I put them in a few hours before. "The longer these brownies sit, the thicker the frosting will become" - LIES!


Photobucket
But you know what? Runny frosting is still frosting and still pure joy. They are pretty dang good, surprisingly, considering they're 'healthy'. Seriously, what part of this looks healthy?! I don't believe it. As Whitney would say:












Cause I don't buy it. But, I guess it could be worse and I'll just shut up and eat them.

Nom Rating: 3.75 out of 5. They're good and they're chocolate, can't really go wrong. However, it's a lot of steps and a bit of work, which I'm never really a fan of. I wouldn't make them regularly just because of this. I think I'll probably take most of them to work to share, as they make a whole bunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment